At the Performing Arts Center San Luis Obispo, we strive to be a prominent arts and culture resource on the Central Coast, gathering artists and audiences to celebrate our shared humanity while honoring diversity of race, gender, orientation, ability, age, and class.
Understanding our role in this community, and in alignment with Cal Poly, we recognize the need for systemic change and are committed to the ongoing work of equity, diversity, and inclusion in all that we do, within our walls and outside of them.
As one of the largest venues on the Central Coast, we realize the crucial opportunity and responsibility in providing greater access and amplification of the performing arts in this area, particularly considering underserved and underrepresented communities. We seek to alleviate real and perceived barriers for artists to share their work on our beloved stage and the vibrant audiences who join us each night. When we welcome you to the PAC, we see you as our valued guests and strive to share our home for the performing arts as your own.
In our initiative to dismantle barriers to the arts and promote meaningful change, we hope to intentionally cultivate an equitable and inclusive future here at the PAC and beyond.
The PAC commits to the following:
- We commit to acknowledging the land on which we reside. We gratefully acknowledge, respect, and thank yak titʸu titʸu yak tiłhini, Northern Chumash Tribe of San Luis Obispo County and Region, whose homelands we are guests.
- We commit to supporting presenters and artists who provide diverse programming, including, but not limited to, offering subsidized ticketing options and providing discounted expenses.
- We commit to addressing access barriers beyond ADA compliance, including physical and virtual spaces, and will continue to actively evaluate accessibility improvements and evolving needs.
- We commit to diversifying our staff, student workers, and volunteers to represent the racial demographics of this area.
- We commit to developing partnerships and relationships with DEI community groups to increase awareness and provide opportunities to share their work and voices.
- We commit to engaging in ongoing DEI conversations and trainings and recognize this is continued and necessary work.
- We commit to revisiting this statement, updating and expanding it, as we learn more about how we can best support our community most equitably.
We know these changes will not happen overnight and that this will require our ongoing commitment. We are eager to support our community further with our dedication to equity, diversity, and inclusion, and look forward to cultivating a space where all feel represented and welcome here at the PAC.